Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

The goal of LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program) is to provide energy assistance in the form of one-time payments to utility companies and individuals to assist with winter heating bills. Part of the program also includes help with repair or replacement of non-working furnaces for low-income households.

Throughout September and October, applications will be accepted for homes with senior citizens and disabled residents. Beginning October 1st, applications will be accepted for homes that are currently disconnected due to lack of payment. All other households meeting the eligibility guidelines can apply on and after November 1st. Cook County residents in need of assistance with their utility bills should call SACC Energy Hotline at (773) 292-1052.


CEDA's Weatherization Program focuses on making homes safer and more energy-efficient for qualifying low-income residents in the city of Chicago and suburban Cook County. Repairing or replacing older furnaces, installing heat-saving insulation and sealing bypasses to conserve energy are often the means used to keep homes warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. The Weatherization Program also strives to make homes safer by installing smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers, as well as repairing gas lines within the home. This service is available to qualifying homeowners and renters who apply at local intake sites. If a rental unit is being weatherized, the landlord must pay for half of the repair costs unless she/he meets certain qualifications.
Eligibility Requirements: To be eligible for the weatherization program, participants must reside in Cook County and be at 150% of the poverty level. Special emphasis is given to families with children under the age of five, the elderly, and persons with disabilities.

Weatherization Hotline: (773) 292-1052

Where to Apply:
Residents must apply for the weatherization program at a local intake site. Call SACC at (773) 292-1052 to apply. Please bring proof of home ownership, a current electric/gas bill, hard copy of social security number for the head of the household (social security number only for those who are 16 and older in the residence), and proof of income for the previous 12 months when you apply for the program.